What questions should I Ask to my fertility doctor about IVF Treatment?
The emotions that encircle the decision to use IVF treatment can often leave couples with a lot of questions they didn’t even know they need to ask. Before you meet for your consultation, here are a few helpful questions to ask the fertility doctor about our IVF treatment plan.
- Am I a good candidate for IVF, and which hormones, medications, and procedures would be best for me?
- What is your clinic’s success rate on a whole in terms of IVF cycles and live births, and what about for patients with similar a background to me?
- If my infertility is unexplained, will IVF or IUI artificial insemination be better?
- Does my diagnosis present any negative impact toward my success rate with IVF?
- Which type of testing and medications or hormones do you recommend?
- Do you conduct your own testing for FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone hormone levels, or will they be done by an outside lab?
- Will I need pre-implantation genetic diagnosis PGD, or pre-implementation genetic screening PGS?
- Which transfer method will be used, and when will you perform the embryo transfer, on day 3 or day 5?
- How many eggs will be attempted for retrieval? Do you usually do one or multiple eggs for a woman in my health condition and age range?
- Should I freeze my embryos before transferring them?
- What are my options for any of the unused embryos?
- How long will the entire IVF process take?
- How much will the entire IVF treatment cost, and will my insurance cover any of it?
- Do you have appointments available to fit my schedule? Be sure to make sure there are weekend or evening appointments to work around your work needs.
- How often will someone from the clinic communicate with me with updates? How will I receive these updates, phone, mail, etc.?
- Who will I be able to talk to throughout the process if I have any additional questions? Be sure to ask about the clinic’s regular hours as well as an emergency help line.
- When can we start?